Some roofing contractors offer round-the-clock services for clients with roofing emergencies. Emergency services attract premium rates, but they can save you a lot of heartache later. Below are three scenarios that you should treat as roof emergencies.
A roof collapse can cause extreme damage and injuries. For example:
- Heavy roofing materials can collapse on the house's occupants and cause injuries
- Roofing materials can collapse on and damage expensive house contents, such as electronics
- The collapsed roof can allow rainwater or snow to affect the house's interior
Anything that interferes with the roof's structural integrity can collapse it. Causes of roof collapse include:
- Overload, for example, due to snow accumulation
- Impact of falling debris, such as large trees
- Fire damage
You should suspect an imminent roof collapse if:
- The roof has suffered extreme structural damage
- You can see cracks on the ceiling, interior walls, or exterior masonry
- The windows and doors don't open or close properly
- The roof sags and creaks
Do not stay in the house until a roofing contractor repairs or certifies it as safe.
An extreme roof leak means the roof has a big hole or crack. Serious leaks, for example, with water gushing into the house, cause multiple dangers. For example, such leaks can:
- Cause water to enter different parts of the roof and cause structural damage
- Damage to the interior house structures, such as drywall and paint
- Damage roof insulation
Causes of extreme leaks include:
- Roof collapse
- Roof puncture, for example, from fallen tree branches
- Roof tear-off, for example, from windstorms
A slow leak where water slowly seeps into the house is not a true emergency. But you should still get it checked by a roofing professional. However, serious leaks require prompt intervention.
High Susceptibility to Further Damage
Lastly, you also have a roofing emergency if your roof has suffered minimal damage, but prevailing or imminent conditions are likely to worsen it. Consider these cases:
- Your roof is missing some shingles, and the weather service has predicted an imminent storm
- The roof has a hole, and the weather service has predicted torrential rain
- Your roof is aging and weak, and you expect a serious snowfall
- A fire outbreak damaged sections of your roof, and a storm is brewing
In such cases, you need emergency intervention to strengthen the roof and prevent further damage.
Don't attempt DIY repairs in case of a roof emergency. Contact a professional roofing contractor to save your roof from further issues.
For more information, contact a roofing company, such as Premier Roofing Co.Share